Join the conversation
Follow us on

Shallow Water Blackout

October 26, 2014

Loading Video...

Shallow Water Blackout

One moment 12-year-old Jack MacMillan was happily splashing about in the family pool. Within minutes, he was dead. There was no cry for help, no desperate fight for his final breath. Jack was the victim of a deadly but little-known condition called Shallow Water Blackout. It's brought on by the simple act of holding your breath underwater and its thought to be the number one cause of drowning among competent swimmers. Kids are at risk in backyard pools right across the country and, believe it or not, they’re even more at risk in swim squads at the local public pool. Swimming Australia is scrambling to re-issue it’s guidelines around hypoxic training but, as Allison Langdon discovered, even our top swimming coaches can’t agree on what’s safe for our kids.


EXTENDED INTERVIEW: Ross Gage explains hypoxic training & the new guidelines to keep swimmers safe. 

REPORTER INTERVIEW: Allison Langdon on the dangers of holding your breath in the backyard pool. 


For more information on Shallow Water Blackout in Australian click here.

To contact Dr Tom Griffiths, click here.

If you’ve had experience with Shallow Water Blackout, or wish to assist the foundation for Jack MacMillan please contact:

Shallow Water Blackout Australia:
FaceBook:    Shallow Water Blackout SWB
Twitter:       @SWB_Australia

Check out more from 60 Minutes


Your feedback on the "Lifesaver" story

60 Minutes Feedback